Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Higher Standards?

Email #1

Bank of America allowed someone to take out a credit card in my name signing themselves on as an 'authorized user'. I knew nothing of the card. BOA filed a lawsuit against me, and then withdrew it when they knew they would lose the case. They sold the file to 3 different debt collectors, which also withdrew when sent the court documents. Bob, I disputed this with the credit bureaus, but, they returned with an answer also adding another $2,000 to the debt. They have defamed my name and assassinated my character in the credit world. God Bless You Bob!!!

Well, how is that for yet another Bank of America story and a good example why it is so important to stay on top of your identity and guard it. Unfortunately, Bank of America keeps coming across the radar in the Ask Bob section.

Email #2:

My husband and I got behind on a Bank of America credit card several years ago. We then set up a payment plan (auto withdraw from our checking account) every month for two years and we made the payments on time every month. However, they said we were late every month and had dinged our credit each and every month for two years. We recently checked my husband’s credit score (not so good) which is how we found out about the mistake, and realized they had put late payments on his credit. We have proof that the payments were made via bank statements. What we need now is a credit dispute letter. Please let us know if you can help us.

Email #3:

From June 2006 to October 2007, I had payments taken electronically taken out of my account to pay off a Bank of America credit card. I paid them $226.50 every two weeks for about a year or more. I received a statement in the mail from a debt collector saying I still owe Bank of America credit card $310.36. I paid off this debt with the other creditor last October. How can I prove that I paid off this debt? I have tried to call the debt collector who represents Bank of America credit card, but they could not find me in their system. How is that even possible? Help me!

Email #4:

Unfortunately, I ran into a problem with a credit card at Bank of America and it went into collections. The Bank of America collections department now calls me 15 to 20 times a day. They are calling my friends and telling them that I defaulted on my account. They are rude and harass me when I answer the phone. How can I get this to stop?

Email #5:

I defaulted on a credit card with Bank of America. I owe them $2,000. My parents have a bank account at Bank of America in which I am the trustee. Bank of America went into my parents’ bank account and withdrew the $2,000. Now, checks have bounced and my parents have a problem. They are overseas missionaries. I have no idea what to do.

These are emails that I have received through Ask Bob concerning Bank of America and how they are treating their customers. I wonder what standards they are referring to with their slogan, “Higher Standards.”

Copyright © 2008 Prudent Money and Bob Brooks. All rights reserved.