Friday, July 11, 2008

It was all in my head! – Thanks Phil Gramm

Dear former Senator Gramm,

I am so thankful that you helped me get some peace about all of these (what I thought were) economic problems we are facing today. Yesterday you said that this whole recession thing was in our heads by referring to it as a “mental recession.” I will also officially stop whining. You are right when you say we have become a country of whiners.

All of those foreclosures, the real estate crisis, all of these companies going belly up, unemployment increasing, the 20% plus loss in the stock market, $4 plus gasoline, the increase in food prices, consumers folding under massive debt problems, etc – you are so right! That is just in our heads. Those are not real problems.

Thanks to you, I am going to stop complaining. I see the light. The next time I put $90 worth of gas in my car, I am just going to remember what you said, realize it is all in my head, and resist the urge to complain. When I have to pay higher prices for all of those necessities, I am just going to remember it is all an illusion. When my neighbor goes into foreclosure, I am just going to conclude that it was their decision to do so, they didn’t like the house, and someone is going to give them credit to buy another with nothing down.

Wow, I feel so free. I can see where you could come to that conclusion. Being a politician (both Democrat and Republican – I guess you couldn’t figure out which party served your best interest) off and on for 14 years, I could see where you come to that conclusion looking down from your “perch.”

I mean there is no one more qualified to address the reality of America than someone who has served as a politician as long as you have.

I am sure that Senator McCain feels better knowing that he shouldn’t whine (following those remarks) having selected you to advise his campaign. Don’t worry Senator McCain, the potential fall-out from comments from Mr. Gramm and others that you call advisors are just in your head as well.

Just like a politician to tell us to ignore the problems and stop whining because it is all in our heads.

Copyright © 2008 Prudent Money and Bob Brooks. All rights reserved.