Thursday, August 28, 2008

Was the Obama Nation Interview Appropriate?

Dear Bob,

I'm seriously confused with how Prudent Money shifts to political forum. To be honest, I was uncomfortable with how your program became a medium for political authors to use in fighting political rivals. Do you think it was appropriate to allow that? I may be wrong, but I think your good program is aimed something higher than partisan politics. I lot of my friends have reacted to what they think is wrong. I'm sure you'll understand what I'm trying to communicate.

I really appreciate your e-mail and your thoughts. For those of you that have followed me through the years, you know I have a dislike of the actions of those who play politics. Politics has a way of shading the truth. Just like politics, marketing can also shade the truth. It creates a reality that is more of an illusion than anything else.

When you combine marketing and politics, you have created a dangerous combination. I brought Dr. Corsi on the program and did the interview, not because I am making a political statement for or against anyone, but I brought Dr. Corsi on the program for two main reasons.

First, this is one of the most important elections of our generation. As a voter you need to read and see everything about these candidates in order to get some resemblance of the truth. This is also an election that could drastically affect your money. In the last election, only 68% of voters showed up to vote. Guess what, politics won. If we are ever going to start to get a voice in Washington and get politics under control, we have to get out and vote and politics ARE affecting our financial future.

Second, we need to vote for the right reasons. I believe that voting just for the sake of change is not a good reason. Both politicians want to change things. However, we need to get a good hard look at what they want to change. As Christians, we also need to be in sink with the politician that mostly reflects Christian values.

I have my concerns about both candidates. I think Senator Obama is a dynamic leader that could inspire America again. At the same time, I also wonder whether Senator Obama might not have enough experience for the job. I don’t think that Senator McCain is going to inspire this country for four years. At the same time, he has the experience.

We are in difficult times. As voters and as Christians, we have a responsibility to understand the facts and get as much information as we can. I realize that having Dr. Corsi on my program talking about a controversial book is not going to sit well with 100% of my audience. Then again, I would like to think that what I talk about each day doesn’t sit well with all of my audience. I want to challenge you to think and get beyond the marketing and the politics and see who we are looking at today for political office.

Included in Dr. Corsi’s book are statements of fact and quotes from Senator Obama. Some of the book I thought to be sensationalized and information that is not as worthwhile. I will also interview someone that tells the other side of the story of Senator McCain.
Copyright © 2008 Prudent Money and Bob Brooks. All rights reserved.