Thursday, April 17, 2008

Bill Dispute - Persistence Pays Off!!

When there is a problem with a payment, companies are often times reluctant to help. One of the pieces of advice that I always give is to be persistent. It cannot hurt anything and might just get a problem resolved.

I wanted to share this Ask Bob Q&A from a listener. This is a perfect example of being persistent.

The Problem - A letter sent to TXU from a listener

I would like to appeal to TXU to delete the charge-off information reported on my credit report. I do not dispute that the balance owed was my responsibility. However, I am appealing to your graces. I have had excellent credit with TXU in the past. I always pay my debts. When I found out there was a balance due on February 25th, I immediately paid the balance due. I only found out about the debt when my credit union denied me for a signature loan.I am asking again; please delete the derogatory information (charge-off) from my credit report. It is very damaging. I do not deserve to have my credit reports damaged as such for the next seven years. I am aware of the credit reporting laws. Only the creditor who places the derogatory information on the credit reports can write a letter requesting the derogatory information to be deleted. The credit bureaus are not responsible as TXU keeping stating. Per the credit bureaus, they just need you to delete the information.

She goes on to give very detailed facts in her letter to TXU.

The Solution – A telephone call to the Executive Offices of TXU

I called today and spoke with a young lady by the name of Sally (different name). She was very nice and compassionate. She stated she would see what see can do and would call me back. She called me back, but said that her co-workers stated that since TXU was not at fault, then there is nothing TXU can/will do to remedy the situation. I was very nice and asked Sally if I can humbly appeal to her supervisor. She stated that I could and that since she agreed with me, she would plea my case to him. She said she would call me back. Well, she called be back after talking with him. She stated, "We got our money, and she paid it as soon as she found out about the debt, so why can't we help her?" Her boss stated, "Well, if you feel comfortable doing it, do it." Well, Christina called me back with good news and asked me for my fax number. Sally contacted the Credit/Collection Dept. of TXU. TXU faxed a letter to me stating that they are deleting the charge off. Praise God! God is awesome.

Thanks for all you do, Bob. You have been such a blessing. Please share with others whenever they have problems with utility companies to contact the Public Service Commission.

Way to Go TXU for doing the right thing!! Persistence does pay off.

Copyright © 2008 Prudent Money and Bob Brooks. All rights reserved.